The Wakefield free city bus is a great way to move around the city centre. Free City Bus website here. There is no charge, you can get on and off at these stops:
1 .Bus Station – The bus starts in the main bus station,
2. Trinity walk shopping centre includes a large Sainsbury’s supermarket, and many retail fashion clothes shops and banks.
3. Ridings shopping centre – This is where you will find the Morrisons supermarket, a SuperDrug, Marks & Spencer, Boots and many other useful retail outlets. Here too is the roof garden.
4. Kirkgate railway station is the oldest railway station in Wakefield, but not the busiest, as it has fewer trains. Also, if you want to visit Manchester Stores, the international food shop, is nearby at the end of Brunswick Street.
5. Ings road retail park is good for visits to B&M, Home Bargains, Matalan, and the Range.
6. Sainsburys (supermarket) is further along Ings Road.
7. Charlesworth Way is handy for the fast food outlets of the Cathedral retail park, here you will find MacDonalds, KFC, Subway and Costa Coffee.
8. Cinema and Leisure complex, (Cineworld). The food outlets near the cinema include Nandos, Frankie & Benny’s and Pizza Hut.
9. Cathedral Retail Park is the next stop, featuring shops such as B&Q, Argos, Carpet World, Dunelm and more.
10. Westgate Retail and Leisure Park Here you will find shops such as Currys/PC World, Wickes, Tesco Supermarket, Wren Kitchens, Pets at Home and many more.
11. Westgate, is one of the most famous streets in Wakefield, running right into the centre of town. The free bus stop is just before you turn off Westgate, towards the Westgate railway station.
12. Westgate Rail station is off Mulberry Street. It is the busier of the two train stations in Wakefield, and has regular trains to London and many major UK cities.
13. Wakefield One is an important building in Wakefield, where you can go to see Wakefield City Council, use the excellent Wakefield Library, visit the Wakefield Museum (free), or meet up at the Create Cafe. (see our maps page)
14. Westgate is another stop, nearer the town centre.
15. Bull Ring (for getting off only), (the place with the water fountain), is the final stop before returning to the Bus Station.